Re: Cityrail don't need guards (Was: [OT] Rod-o-matic (was: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image))

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<HTlO5.82651$YX4.2571114@news2.giganews.com>:

>And it is attitudes like this that will lead to DOO - the best way to
>preserve these jobs is to make themselves indispensable.

If Cityrail guards are to be of any use, make them rove the train checking
tickets and offer assistance to passengers as well. There are many examples
to show that DOO can work in other states and countries, even with the
supposed curved platforms.

What is the use of a button pusher/newspaper reader when he's only doing a
job that the driver is 100% capable of doing?

I would feel much better as a passenger if I had a guard (hell, rename them
conductors if you want) wandering up and down the train being of use to the
passengers. If you are really desparate, make them act as safeworking
guards during the peaks when there is far reduced visibility (Still don't
see why mirrors and monitor/cameras won't work).

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME