Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

"James Brook" <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3A068791.14C636D7@ozemail.com.au">news:3A068791.14C636D7@ozemail.com.au...

> If you don't like my site, then don't look at it.

I don't, mainly due to your refusal to make pics a size that can be easily
viewed.

> > I might just bypass your pics - I know a lot of people who alrady do
so -
> > until you lose some of your arrogance.
>
> You're calling me arrogant?

Yes.

> Just look at your attitude.

Mild compared to yours. I do not expect people to change their computer's
settings to view my site, I make it so that it fits into just about
everyone's screens.

> I know a lot of
> people that view my photos, so it works both ways. I suppose you think
> everyone should do exactly what you want.

No - I am saying that web designers should work to the lowest common
denominator.

> I am not expecting that
> everyone will like my photos, just as I don't like small 50kb jpegs.

I don't know what your pics look like, since they are too big to view
comfortably.

> It's not that hard to change resolutions for a short time,

Why should we have to?

> and I was
> just suggesting it as a way to view my photos without having to save
> them.

Just as making your pics smaller is a way of viewing them without having to
save them.

> Changing resolutions is a very simple and easy procedure these
> days.

As is making your pics smaller.

> I do it all the time for a number of applications.

And my brothers computer will not change resolutions without rebooting (it
is old, I admit) - why should he have to either: upgrade his computer; or
waste two phone calls (connect after rebooting to view, then reconnect after
rebooting again)?

> > Perhaps you should speak to some professional website designers. Anyone
who
> > designs websites would be laughed at for suggetsing that visitors to the
> > site should have to adjust their screen resolutions to view non-standard
> > pages.
> >

> The pages are designed for 800x600 or higher.

Web designers mostly design for 800x600 (no higher).

> I can't help it that
> Netscape or IE doesn't provide an auto-resize option (other than
> creating another HTML document) when displaying images.

You could help by making your pics smaller.

Dave