Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

Dave Proctor wrote:

> Legally, they have to have permission to use them, whether or not he says
> they have to ask permission.

But my point is they can't say they didn't know as it is clearly stated
on the image.

> Since a lot of computers also support much higher resolutions, will you (and
> other photographers) start making your images bigger, on the basis that most
> people can support them? Like it or not, 800 x 600 is the net standard, and
> until that changes, you will be the odd person out. What beats me is why do
> people publish things in a non-standard format? They obviously want people
> to look at them (why publish it otherwise) yet they do everything possible
> to make it hard.

I run my monitor in 800x600 and this is exactly why I have published
them at 900x600. This means people can easily use them as Windows
backgrounds without losing any quality. They will also stretch to
1024x768 backgrounds without losing much quality. It's not that hard to
change resolutions if you really want to see the entire photo without
saving it. It only takes about 30 seconds to right click on the desktop,
go to properties and then settings to change the resolution. I'm not
sure about Win95 A, but with the B release you can also display the
settings icon on your task bar. This gives you a menu with available
resolutions when you click on it. This is very fast, easy and doesn't
even require the minimisation of your application.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au