Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

"James Brook" <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3A04F9BB.8C0878FC@ozemail.com.au">news:3A04F9BB.8C0878FC@ozemail.com.au...

> Try putting a neat copyright notice on the photo. Although it's no
> guarantee, a company can't say they didn't know the photo was copyright.
> I also notice that you have them in the Railpage pictures archive. They
> may have scabbed them directly from there. I couldn't see any notice in
> there about the terms of use. All it says is "copyright remains with the
> photographer". Although they should contact you first, they may say it
> doesn't clearly state that they have to do that.

Legally, they have to have permission to use them, whether or not he says
they have to ask permission.

> > Just change your screen resolution to 1024x768 he says!   My first 5
monitors
> > would not go above 800x600.  My current monitor goes up to 1600x1200,
but not
> > everyone can do that.
>
> Unless you are buying a bargain basement computer, all modern PC's are
> sold with monitors that support 1024x768 or higher. It shouldn't be a
> problem these days.

Since a lot of computers also support much higher resolutions, will you (and
other photographers) start making your images bigger, on the basis that most
people can support them? Like it or not, 800 x 600 is the net standard, and
until that changes, you will be the odd person out. What beats me is why do
people publish things in a non-standard format? They obviously want people
to look at them (why publish it otherwise) yet they do everything possible
to make it hard.

Dave