Re: Electrification and patronage

geoff dawson <geoffrey.dawson@aph.gov.au> wrote in message
igpN5.48$_86.5051@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:igpN5.48$_86.5051@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> I have read figures suggesting  that patronage in Brisbane and Perth
> increased rougly three fold within the decade following electrification.
Of
> course, in Perth part of the increase would be accounted for by the
> associated  expansion to the network (Joondalup line)

Also the increased service frequency associated with the electrification (20
to 15 min during off-peaks on the three existing lines?) would have helped.

So there are a number of factors that would influence rail patronage:

1. New line (eg Joondalup)
2. Increased service frequency
3. Feeder buses - existence, co-ordination, directness and frequency
4. Electrification (both real and imagined benefits - increased speed being
a real
benefit, the 'gee whiz gleaming new train' novelty factor being less real)
5. Integration of transport with land use (as per Newman/Kenworthy)

Of these factors, I would put the first three as having a greater influence
of patronage than an electrification in isolation.

The main thing holding Perth back as far as train patronage goes is the poor
frequency of feeder buses to stations.  Perth's population has trebled in
the last 40 years or so, and during much of this time turned its back on the
railway and developed areas remote from stations (Mees quotes 20% population
within walking distance of Melbourne passenger stations, I would estimate
the equivalent figure for Perth would be nearer to 5%, largely due to it
being a newer and faster-growing city).  For this reason, feeder buses
assume extreme importance in boosting rail patronage.  Mees, which compares
access to rail stations (Melbourne mainly walking, Toronto mainly feeder
bus) reinforces this point.

As for service frequency, it would be interesting to see what patronage
increases were generated when some Melbourne lines went from 20 to 15 min.

Electrification is one factor, but not necessarily the major factor in
increasing patronage, and will fail if it is not backed up by tangible
benefits to passengers, such as increased service frequency.

Peter