Re: Cityrail don't need guards (Was: [OT] Rod-o-matic (was: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image))

"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
8FE777D72gunzelT333@139.130.239.94">news:8FE777D72gunzelT333@139.130.239.94...
> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in article

> >And it is attitudes like this that will lead to DOO - the best way to
> >preserve these jobs is to make themselves indispensable.
>
> If Cityrail guards are to be of any use, make them rove the train checking
> tickets and offer assistance to passengers as well.

And the doors just open and close themselves?

> There are many examples
> to show that DOO can work in other states and countries, even with the
> supposed curved platforms.
>
> What is the use of a button pusher/newspaper reader when he's only doing a
> job that the driver is 100% capable of doing?

> I would feel much better as a passenger if I had a guard (hell, rename them
> conductors if you want) wandering up and down the train being of use to the
> passengers. If you are really desparate, make them act as safeworking
> guards during the peaks when there is far reduced visibility (Still don't
> see why mirrors and monitor/cameras won't work).

They are not going to give the guards duties to the Driver (and pay them more
to do it), then pay the guard to be a conductor. If Doo comes in, the Driver
will be it, no-one else - except for the useless Chubbies at night.