Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7s9svn$fa7$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7s9svn$fa7$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> : In Adelaide they do (or they used to) - that is why the cops had to be
> : issued with tickets.
>
> And do they still do that?

Not sure. I remember a big write up about it a few years back.

> : So you ignore the rules - civil disobedience.
>
> I am not ignoring anything, I always travel with a valid ticket, and
> the majority of the time validate it.

But you do not validate every boarding, so you *are* ignoring the rules.

> Do you validate you ticket every signle time with out expection?
> (I suppose you have never missed a validation)

Yes I do - the only time I do not is when the validators are out of action.

> : It is also used for other purposes (or at least it is supposed to be).
> : Again, this is not Melbourne, but Sydney Buses use the information
obtained
> : to determine where and when there is a higher than normal icidence of
> : concesison travel - they use this information to target revenue
protection
> : operations, with a view to detecting those travelling on concession
tickets
> : without concession cards. There are other things they can tell.
>
> At least someone uses all the crap collected, I don't think Melbourne
> does (yet.)

And they will not until they get meaningful data - and it will not be
meaningful until everybody validates all of the time.

> About Sydney's light rail:
> What was the system when it first started for selling tickets and
> validating them (it that is what you do with them)?

No validation required - they were randonly checked by on-board staff, and
were sold from vending machines at the stops.

> Is that the same today?

No - they are now sold on board - the vending machines at the stops were
prone to vandalism resulting in unavailability and theft, and it was
actually cheaper for them to shut them all down and put staff on the trams.

> Have they had/have any revenue protection, ie have they had a problem
> with people traveling without tickets?

Not really, although that has been the case from day 1, when there were few
on board staff - the likelihood of being randomly checked was about 50%, so
the regulars did not take the chance.

DaveP