Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7s9or8$bsp$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7s9or8$bsp$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> : As I said before, I think having to validate already valid tickets at
> : non-gated stations is silly. The only reason you should do it on a tram
is
> : to show that you have a valid ticket.
>
> Show who?  The other passengers, they no longer talk to each other since
> conductors were removed.  Another change once conductors were removed, but
> that is beside the point.
>
> : Much the same system as Melbourne - 2 hour tickets, daily tickets,
weekly
> : tickets. Each train carriage has validators, and they have to validate
on
> : boarding the train. They even gave plain-clothes police special tickets,
> : because they were being told off as fare evaders because they did not
> : validate (as police, they were entitled to free travel to and from
work).
> : There is a social thing in Adelaide about fare evasion.
>
> So there is in Melbourne too, but the minority of people that do it get
> away with it because others (like me) don't say anything.

In Adelaide they do (or they used to) - that is why the cops had to be
issued with tickets.

> : Neither - someone with a weekly ticket with 3 days left to go validates
> : because they have to.
>
> I validate my Monthly each day because I need to.  I need to so I can open
> the gates at the other end.  If it wasn't for that then I wouldn't bother
> till I go through the gates at the other end, but I have still validated.

So you ignore the rules - civil disobedience.

> : There is a need because the tram companies need the statistics for
revenue
> : allocation and route planning purposes.
>
> That is what they keep telling us and the other thing they keep telling
> us is that the service level will be maintained.  So apart from knowing
> the number of people using the service then it realy won't change much.
> It will just be another lot of statistics which will never be used to give
> a better service.

It is also used for other purposes (or at least it is supposed to be).
Again, this is not Melbourne, but Sydney Buses use the information obtained
to determine where and when there is a higher than normal icidence of
concesison travel - they use this information to target revenue protection
operations, with a view to detecting those travelling on concession tickets
without concession cards. There are other things they can tell.

DaveP