Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7s9ode$bsp$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7s9ode$bsp$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> : For the same reason that they do not have to physically turn a handle
and
> : open the doors outwards like they had to on the swing door trains, or
sit in
> : compartments on suburban trains like on the Tait's. Or for that matter,
for
> : the same reason that England does not transport convicts to the colonies
any
> : more - because things change. You cannot use the argument that "We have
> : never done it that way before, so why should we do it now?" If that was
the
> : attitude everywhere, then nothing would get done. You would still be
writing
> : on slateboards, rather than using a computer.
>
> Anyway back to the point, the idea of trams is boarding is quick and easy
> not like buses where you get on one by one and show the ticket to the
driver
> (or validate it)

And the point is that if Melburnians got used to validating all the time,
EVERY time, it would be just as quick as now.

Sydney used to be the same when the automated gates were introduced.
Commuters would not use them because they were slower - they were only
slower because they were not used to them. Then they were forced to use
them, they got used to them, now quite often the arms on the gates do not
even close between passengers.

Once they get used to it and get into a routine, they will be quick.

> : If we're all the same, then why this obstinacy on the part of
Melburnians?

> Does everyone in Sydney validate all the time?  Maybe if we got some stats
> for trains and compaired them, and for buses are compaired them they would
> be the same.  What do you compair Melbourne trams to?

How about Adelaide trains, where passengers validate when the enter the
carriage.

> : A bit like parking in a 30 minute parking zone for 4
> : hours - just because they are not booking you for it and you are getting
> : away with it does not mean it is right.
>
> Plenty of people do that right around Australia, it is a fact of people.

Does not make it right. They cannot complain when they get booked. Are you
going to complain *if* you get fined for not validating an already valid
ticket, knowing that you are supposed to and have elected not to do so?

> : So you are agreeing then - it IS civil disobedience.
>
> If it against the law/regularations than of course it is.

And it is against the regulations.

> : And I do that every year - plus I visit Melbourne quite often DURING the
> : year. I have pointed this out - I am not a total authority on the
workings
> : of Melbourne transport, but I have quite a lot of experience on it.
>
> : First week of February is school time, and people are back at work -
this is
> : my third week in Melbourne. Besides, normal loading from Flinders St
station
> : to Melbourne Park gives a pretty good indication of busy loads.
>
> And the unversities?  They don't start till March.  (All students are ones
> get around anything, like Metcard and anything else.)
>
> : True - they were tourists, unfamiliar with the system - if they can make
it
> : work, why can't those who DO know it?
>
> We do know how to use it and do use it, the majority have valid tickets,
and
> they just don't bother to re-validated them.

So they do not use it then - since validating on each and every boarding is
an integral part of the system.

> : Yes - those who don't know it can make it work, those who *do* know it
are
> : incapable of this. It DOES tell me something about Melburnians.
>
> Do we have a higher rate of people traveling without tickets than Sydney?
> (I don't know, I would say it is about the same.)

Once again you miss the point - must be a bombers supprter.

DaveP