Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

: Oh. So if a policy was introduced  (re-introduced in the case of Z's?)
: that people could only board by the front door of a tram, but people
: could get on the rear door of a bus, you would then be arguing that
: people would validate on trams but not on buses?

YES, but what is the point of having trams where you board by the front
door?  It takes too long, that is one of the best advantages of trams
is the quick boarding speed, that is why people will catch a trams for
a few city blocks, because it is quick.  You would't even think of
doing that on a bus in inner Melbourne.

: It seems to me that the simple fact is that Metcard has been so badly
: handled PR-wise and implementation-wise that people simply look for any
: excuse to defy it. However for the defiant to try to deny that their
: "reasons" are just that - i.e. excuses - only makes the situation worse.

I am not making excuses just telling you that people in Melbourne do validate
but just not on trams.  You tellme how to fix the problem, and tell the
tram compaines, if it works they will pay you for sure.

Isn't it funny how all the people in Sydney who haven't had trams for almost
40 years now know more about the operation of trams with and without
conductors then the people of Melbourne who catch trams every day.

I don't give a shit what crap you come up with about Melbourne people being
lazy, but if Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane still had a large tram network like
Melbourne and the trams had conductors for years, then replaced with
validators and driver only trams, they you would get the same high level of
people not validating, it is not just the people of Melbourne, it is ALL
people.

Sydney people are just as lazy as Melbourne people, it has nothing to do
with where the person comes from, they are same.  Seams like the only people
pushing this "validate you tickets on the tram" are people from Sydney or
Brisbane.

I suggest if the people in Sydney/Brisbane want to know what it is realy
like they should have spent a year or so catching trams with conductors
and a year or so with out conductors with automatic ticketing and see
how different the people using the trams behave.

Melbourne's ticking system is working quite well now, expect for trams.

What would you do to our trams to make people validate/buy ticket?  (even
though you are in Sydney/Brisbane and don't know Melbourne trams, and a
1 week flying visit doesn't mean you know  everything, I know hardly
anything about Melbourne trams and I catch them every day.)

And BTW there are no complaits from the people using the trams, just the
people in Sydney/Brsibane.  (We are talking about people not validating
or buying tickets on Melbourne trams in this tread, not the difference
between people of Sydney/Brisband and Melbourne.  We have already
established that the usage of trams if very different to buses, so now
please tell me how to make people validate.  I think conductors is the
only way, but what would I know I am only from Melbourne and use the trams
daily.)

Also which types of people do you think validate and which don't?

Regards,
--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord