Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

: > YES, but what is the point of having trams where you board by the front
: > door?

: So what is the point of having buses where you board by the front door?

Because that is hopw buses work, we used to have conductors on the tramway
buses in Melbourne, then you could board by either door, but most still
boarded by the front door.

: > Isn't it funny how all the people in Sydney who haven't had trams for almost
: > 40 years now know more about the operation of trams with and without
: > conductors then the people of Melbourne who catch trams every day.

: I wasn't aware we were debating the operation of trams; we were debating
: the obstinacy of some Melbourne people about using validators.

No it is just trams.

: The point made 1000 times is that people in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide
: and myriads of other places around the world have no problems with using
: validators, automatic barriers etc, yet some (possibly large) subset of
: the people of Melbourne want to distinguish themselves from the rest of
: the world by claiming it is outrageously difficult or unreasonable.

People in Sydney/Brisbane/Adelaide don't have problmes validating because
the driver of the bus makes them (by watching them), same it Melbourne.
I am not sure about the trains in those citys (just like you are not
sure why people don't validate on our trams), but Melbourne most
people validate at the train station.

You have no problems because you have no trams!!! (that light rail doesn't
count as a system, and the tram in Adelaide has conductors)

: > I don't give a shit what crap you come up with about Melbourne people being
: > lazy, but if Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane still had a large tram network like
: > Melbourne and the trams had conductors for years, then replaced with
: > validators and driver only trams, they you would get the same high level of
: > people not validating, it is not just the people of Melbourne, it is ALL
: > people.

: So now you are arguing that it is a pseudo-political response to the
: absence of conductors, rather than a real issue about the nature of
: trams?

: > I suggest if the people in Sydney/Brisbane want to know what it is realy
: > like they should have spent a year or so catching trams with conductors
: > and a year or so with out conductors with automatic ticketing and see
: > how different the people using the trams behave.

: Again supporting the interpretation above, i.e. that it is not the
: validation process which is unreasonable but it is just people making a
: protest?

It is just the nature of trams, but how would you know there hasn't been
trams in Sydney for almost 40 years.

Until you come down to Melbourne and watch people getting on trams and
see what they do then we will worry about buses and trains, I say that
the validation rate on Melbourne buses and trains is the same as any
other city in Australia.

There is no point just saying people in Melbourne don't validate when
you and me don't know why.  But I have told you the only problem is
trams.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord