Re: Extra Blacktown platform (was: St Leonards, NSW)

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
7uuhu3$2fr$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7uuhu3$2fr$1@news1.mpx.com.au...

> I have lost nothing. I noticed you failed to address the comment before
> that - let me reproduce it for you, as your newsreader seems to have
snipped
> it in the post you read.
>
> "> And they could have built sidings to hold terminating services at
> Blacktown
> > rather than the grater expense of a new platform (with lift) and an
extra
> up
> > track stretching for a few kilometres towards Seven Hills.
>
> So land resumptions, levelling, and building tracks, along with the
> inevitable track and signalling work, would be cheaper than putting a
> platform on an already existing track?"

>From what I have seen there has been plenty of "levelling, and building
tracks, along with track and signalling work" at Blacktown already along
with the construction of new retaining walls (which tend to be expensive
when designed to support a railway track) platform  and lift(also
expensive).

> I have spent lengthy periods at Hornsby in the morning and afternoon peak
> (gunzelling). I have also spent lengthy periods doing the same at
Blacktown.
> I have SEEN both stations in operation, and Hornsby works far more
smoothly
> than Blacktown does.

A lucky day!

> You also say that they should not be upgrading the station for the sake of
> few weeks in September/October next year. But like it or not, the Games
are
> an anticipated need, and failing to provide capacity to cater for that
need
> would be disastrous. Since the station is barely coping now, you do not
need
> to be Einstein to see that another platform is essential, if only for the
> occasions when the high-frequency service is in operation.

This misrepresents what I have said.  I have only questioned the need (and
consequent expense) to construct a new platform with a couple of kilometres
of new track.  It would be foolish not to plan for the Olympics but with six
existing platforms Blacktown is already one of the best endowed suburban
stations and there MAY have been less expensive alternatives for handling
the Olympics and the money saved spent elsewhere on the CityRail network
where it may be of more lasting benefit.  You have many times suggested
"Operational things" to resolve Hornsby's problems the same could be said
for Blacktown perhaps coupled with some infrastructure improvements.  You
disagree with my suspicions - thats fine by me!

> And you have failed to mention the different characteristics of the
> traffic - whilst Hornsby is a major interchange station, most people are
> coming off Mental Coast trains and changing onto trains that are
commencing
> their journey at Hornsby. You do not have large numbers of people trying
> get on a train at the same time as you have large numbers trying to get
off
> that same train. You DO have large numbers getting off, and large numbers
> getting on, but they are by and large the same people, and different
> trains - Blacktown they are different people, same train - it impacts upon
> the operation of the station far more than the situation at Hornsby.

Less than half the trains mentioned previously for the morning peak period
7:00am to 8:00 am start in Hornsby.  There are interurbans who discharge
large numbers of people through comparatively narrow doors and then large
numbers of DIFFERENT people board these trains because they offer the
fastest trip to Epping, Strathfield and Central.  The suburban trains from
Berowra also discharge large numbers of people especially school kids.  I
think the interchange characteristics are a lot similar than you state.

> Oh shit yes, I never denied that Hornsby does not need a new platform -
but
> Blacktown needs it more.

I am pleased to see that you recognise Hornsby could do with an additional
platform but, I am sorry, comments such as "the facilities at Hornsby are
adequate for current and anticipated needs, apart from a few peak hours" had
me thinking otherwise.