Re: Extra Blacktown platform (was: St Leonards, NSW)

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7uu92l$24qn$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7uu92l$24qn$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
> 7uspba$ein$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7uspba$ein$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> >
> > Ok - I see you went to the John Cain/Joan Kirner School of Economics.
> >

> Result to insult when you have lost the argument.

I have lost nothing. I noticed you failed to address the comment before
that - let me reproduce it for you, as your newsreader seems to have snipped
it in the post you read.

"> And they could have built sidings to hold terminating services at
Blacktown
> rather than the grater expense of a new paltform (with lift) and an extra
up
> track stretching for a few liometres towards Seven Hills.

So land resumptions, levelling, and building tracks, along with the
inevitable track and signalling work, would be cheaper than putting a
platform on an already existing track?"

I have spent lengthy periods at Hornsby in the morning and afternoon peak
(gunzelling). I have also spent lengthy periods doing the same at Blacktown.
I have SEEN both stations in operation, and Hornsby works far more smoothly
than Blacktown does.

You also say that they should not be upgrading the station for the sake of a
few weeks in September/October next year. But like it or not, the Games are
an anticipated need, and failing to provide capacity to cater for that need
would be disastrous. Since the station is barely coping now, you do not need
to be Einstein to see that another platform is essential, if only for the
occasions when the high-frequency service is in operation.

> If you really want to compare the two stations then you should look at
> CityRail's Statistics.  I have some figures available from the then NSW
> Department of State Development, but prepared by CityRail early this
decade
> which shown that outside the of the CDB, Redfern & North Sydney  that
> Hornsby has more weekday passengers than any other station except
> Strathfield and Parramatta with Chatswood and Bondi Junction not far
behind.
> (Yes I am surprised too!) In the peak period 6:01 to 9:30 am:
>
> Hornsby 7,356 passengers ON, 5,441 passengers OFF
> Blacktown 5,061 passengers ON,  2758 passengers OFF

And you have failed to mention the different characteristics of the
traffic - whilst Hornsby is a major interchange station, most people are
coming off Mental Coast trains and changing onto trains that are commencing
their journey at Hornsby. You do not have large numbers of people trying to
get on a train at the same time as you have large numbers trying to get off
that same train. You DO have large numbers getting off, and large numbers
getting on, but they are by and large the same people, and different
trains - Blacktown they are different people, same train - it impacts upon
the operation of the station far more than the situation at Hornsby.

> I daresay Blacktown has grown since the figures were compiled but so has
> Hornsby but probably not as much as Blacktown.  Non the less there would
> have to be huge increase in passenger numbers for Blacktown to equal
Hornsby
> let alone surpass it in passenger numbers.  Given the importance of
Hornsby
> to the CityRail network then I think it has a case for more platform
> facilities.

Oh shit yes, I never denied that Hornsby does not need a new platform - but
Blacktown needs it more.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au