Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
3805AC34.EB9CB988@efs.mq.edu.au">news:3805AC34.EB9CB988@efs.mq.edu.au...

> Please assist me in making sure I understand this.
>
> Sydney cannot have DOO because there are trees which would destroy the
> power-operated mirrors?

Only power operated mirrors would be affected. Other systems have trees and
shrubbery intruding into the loading gauge. BUT their mirrors are fixed, and
require a certain "oomph" to move them. Power operated mirros (by their very
nature) would be somewhat easier to move, and therefore more prone to
movement and breakage by shrubbery.

> As I said a few weeks ago,  almost every government-owned rail system in
> Australia has people claiming it is unique and therefore cannot do the
> same things which the rest of the world has been doing for years; but
> this latest argument is indeed unique. NEVER before have I heard it
> claimed that a railway could not do something because of the trees which
> grow within the loading gauge.

Where else in the world are their retracting drivers mirrors? If you can
find a system that uses them, then I agree, we should use thier system. BUT,
you cannot criticise this point of Craig, purely on the basis that (AFAIK) I
has never been done before.

> Good one, Craig. The "we could never do that here" brigade must give you
> absolute first prize for innovation with that argument.

All systems in the world are unique. EVERY system has unique operational
requirements and capabilities. The vast majority of systems will be able to
apply solutions already used in other systems. Some will not.

DaveP