Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) wrote:

> Are you thinking more about power-operation of the proposed mirrors, or
> manual?

Power.

> Power operated mirrors will be nice, but they will break too often since
> anything protruding like that will collect every CityTree(tm) that grows
> right up the gauge profile line

They would be retracted before the train started to move, just like
the Tangara doors.

> and the power equipment is likely to become another source of regular,
> annoying failures.

Power retracting mirrors seem to work reliably on the road motor
vehicle applications where they are used.

I repeat, I don't think mirrors are a very good solution, but not
because of any mechnical issues.

Cheers,

Bill