Re: DOO In Sydney?

In <7tefv6$831$1@otis.netspace.net.au> "Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> writes:

>Graig its called putting the door controls on the Drivers consul just like
>everyone else has done.

I have no objection to this aspect of driver-only operation, however the
issue with video systems is one that will require a lot of trial-and-error
testing of different ideas to determine what works best for the Sydney
network. I don't advocate a head-in-the-sand approach since I think DOO is
going to be the way forward, but current methodologies don't seem to be
coming up with anything new which is going to help make implementing DOO
*successfully* any less troublesome.

>Thats why you require cab modes and DOO rear view mirrors and or CCTV
>monitors.

I know all that... I have been in Perth and saw how it's done there when I
was on holiday there in 1997. I rode around the network with some of the
drivers to get a feel for their system and how the train management
processes are different to ours here in Sydney. I was particularly
interested in there on-train video systems and other core differences to our
train management methods.

>As for any situation you have in Sydney there is an equivilent solution in
>Melbourne, (If your Sydneycentric mind can't accept that I'm sure London has
>solved the problem).

What do you mean by an 'equivalent' solution?

>Just keep coming up with the excusses as to why it can't be done, its the
>best way of solving the question. "Why can't it be dine?" To which there is
>no answer!!!!

I'm not saying that it can't be done - I know that it can be done. What I am
saying is that the approaches everyone has suggested so far will not work
successfully here without extensive field trials to work out what is the
best approach. Unless you yourself are a driver with CityRail then you won't
fully-appreciate that I have more first-hand knowledge of the issue than you
do.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport