Re: DOO In Sydney?

In <7t67t6$h6$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:

>> This still does not address the curved platform issue, or the fact that
>> because we run 8 car trains here, the driver cannot just use one camera to
>> view the whole platform, even on straight platforms in some situations.

>There is also the little issue of platforms that service multiple lines, a
>situation that does not occur in Perth. A combination of very long trains,
>curved platforms, people on the platform not boarding that train obstructing
>the view.

I didn't think of this, but yes, it's an issue to consider, especially at
the CBD stations (which is one reason why extra lookouts are employed on
platform's 16/17 in the morning peak and 18/19 in the afternoon peak at
Central).

>> How can the driver *reliably* view multiple camera inputs on a single
>> screen at the same time unless the screen is platform-mounted and large
>> (which requires the train to pull up at the same spot all the time,
>> regardless of length), or the in-cab display takes up a very large slab on
>> the in-cab space.

>Possibly - maybe all 6 and 8 car trains could pull up next to the display.
>But, (just an idea - and extra money would have to be involved) with a 4 car
>train, couldn't the driver stop, get out of his seat, open the doors, blow
>the whistle, close the doors, see that they are all closed, then leave? If a
>guard can work the train from the back of a 4 car train, couldn't the driver
>do it from the front? It is just a thought, and would encounter some
>resistance. There would also be increased dwell times at stations.

It would work yes, but there would be delays introduced, and then there is a
problem of what happens between the time the driver closes the doors (from a
standing position as the guard does now) and then sitting down to actuate
the traction controls.

The other problem would be physical problems because of the process involved
to get out and back into the seat at every station. The current seats have
to be pushed back a way, and swivelled before someone can stand up. The
reverse for sitting down again to start the train in motion.

When these small additional delays and the extra physical skeletal movements
are summed together, there could be significant problems with maintaining
running times unless drivers stand up all the time, which is *very* bad and
the driving controls are not suited to working from a standing position.

>> Perth trains are very short (no longer than 4 cars), so there's a
>> fundamental problem saying that what Perth does can be directly translated
>> to Sydney and it'll work like a charm.

>Don't they have 6 car trains during the peak on the Northern line? Or is
>that something I read was proposed?

They might do now. When I visited Perth in 1997 4-car trains were the
longest I saw on any of their 4 lines.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport