Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

"C. Dewick" wrote:

> Power operated mirrors will be nice, but they will break too often since
> anything protruding like that will collect every CityTree(tm) that grows
> right up the gauge profile line, and the power equipment is likely to become
> another source of regular, annoying failures. Mirrors will be the first
> things knocked off by a malevolent tree.

Please assist me in making sure I understand this.

Sydney cannot have DOO because there are trees which would destroy the
power-operated mirrors?

As I said a few weeks ago,  almost every government-owned rail system in
Australia has people claiming it is unique and therefore cannot do the
same things which the rest of the world has been doing for years; but
this latest argument is indeed unique. NEVER before have I heard it
claimed that a railway could not do something because of the trees which
grow within the loading gauge.

Good one, Craig. The "we could never do that here" brigade must give you
absolute first prize for innovation with that argument.

Eddie Oliver