Re: Freightcorp's interstate sell-off blamed on competition fears

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a7eb689$0$16384$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a7eb689$0$16384$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Steve Zvillis" <szvillis@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> 95ljtp$d8$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:95ljtp$d8$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> |
> | Tezza
> | > It was the Union constantly shafting the Drivers that caused the
Drivers
> | to get disillusioned and lose interest.
> |
> | Well whose fault was that??
>
> As I just said, it was the Union's fault. It if served it's members
> interests instead of it's hidden agendas, they'd get more member support.

Unions will only serve their own agenda when they are not getting sufficient
direction from the members.

> | Union officials, committees, shop stewards,
> | delegates are voted in by the members. If they do not do what their
> members
> | want, they can be "re-educated" at a meeting requested by the members.
>
> In the RTBU, the meetings are arranged by the delegates, not the members.
> Even when resolutions have been passed demanding that meetings be held on
> regular basis, the delegates ignore those resolutions to make sure that
they
> run the Union, not the members.

As I said, delegates (and officials) are ACCOUNTABLE to the members. If they
refuse to be accountable FIX IT!
Refuse to let officials on site. Terrorise officials in their city offices.
Persuade delegates to change their ways ( by extreme physical force if
necessary!!). They will soon get the message, especially if there is a
groundswell of discontent. ( Not just a lone discontent).

> | If that doesn't work, the misguided officials can be dumped at an
> election.
>
> Blokes have tried to fight head office over the years and gotten sick of
> banging their heads against walls. Most local positions go uncontested as
> result and head office rules. The game is stacked against the members.

Only because members give up the fight. Stop banging heads on walls and
start banging boots into heads!!!

> | Now if members are too apathetic to either support the candidates who
WILL
> | do as members require or are too lazy or gutless to stand for office
> | themselves, they will get exactly the union they deserve.
>
> It's neither, it's as I just pointed out.

As I just said, lay down and get walked on.

> | >Now instead of supporting the Union,
> | > many say "Fuck the union."
> |
> | Well thats really going to help!! Go ahead! Dump the union! As soon as
> it's
> | gone your bosses will thank you for allowing them to kick as much crap
out
> | of you as they like! Who cares if you object? No-one with the union
gone.
> | You can look forward to being treated more and more like dogs. If you
> don't
> | like it, what are you going to do? Nothing. Just take even more and more
> and
> | more AND more. Complain? Who too?
>
> I never send get rid of the Union, I said blokes don't support it because
it
> doesn't work for them.

MAKE it work!!!

> | If you don't like it, find another job.
> | (You might get lucky to find another job that still has a union standing
> up
> | for it's members rights!)
>
> So because my Union is corrupt I should find another job?

Possibly find another union?? If enough of you are pissed off with the
R.T.B.U. enquire if another related union might be interested in taking you
on??

> | Just remember, the cab facilities you enjoy (seats,
>
> Uncomfortable, dirty, inappropriate.

At least you can sit down

> | heating,
>
> Inappropriate.

At least it exists.

> | noise suppression,
>
> What noise suppression?

Can you hear someone speak to you when you get out the cab??

> | etc. etc.), crib facilities (ovens, fridges, lockers, showers, etc.
etc.),

> Most inadequate.

Complain louder!

> | pay rates,
>
> Getting lower and lower comparatively.

Because unions are losing support and management is getting let off the
hook.

> | leave provisions, etc. etc.
>
> Won back when we had real Unions. The current one has tried selling off
some
> off the leave provisions.

Get rid of your current union officials.

> | weren't given to you out of the goodness your employers heart. The union
> officials you are so keen to
> | slag off copped a lot of grief and heartache to campaign to get those
> things for you.
>
> No they didn't. All those conditions you mention were won by prior Union
> officials and have steadily been reduced by the current crop. At all times
> in this debate I am only referring to the RTBU.

As I said, get rid of your current union officials.

Regards,
Steve Z.