Poor Union Reps [was Re: Freightcorp's interstate sell-off blamed on competition fears]

"Steve Zvillis"
| Tezza
| > "Steve Zvillis"
| > | Tezza

| > As I just said, it was the Union's fault. It if served it's members
| > interests instead of it's hidden agendas, they'd get more member
support.

| Unions will only serve their own agenda when they are not getting
sufficient
| direction from the members.

I disagree, but now we've got the chicken and egg conundrum

| > In the RTBU, the meetings are arranged by the delegates, not the
members.
| > Even when resolutions have been passed demanding that meetings be held
on
| a regular basis, the delegates ignore those resolutions to make sure that
| they run the Union, not the members.
|
| As I said, delegates (and officials) are ACCOUNTABLE to the members. If
they
| refuse to be accountable FIX IT!

Can't, the dumb bastards keep voting for the very people they spend 4 years
complaining about after every election.

| Refuse to let officials on site.

They've have management have us arrested and/or suspended.

| Terrorise officials in their city offices.

They'd have the police in quick smart.

| Persuade delegates to change their ways ( by extreme physical force if
| necessary!!).

Again, arrest would be the result.

| They will soon get the message, especially if there is a
| groundswell of discontent. ( Not just a lone discontent).

Not while the dumb bastards keep voting them in.

| > Blokes have tried to fight head office over the years and gotten sick of
| > banging their heads against walls. Most local positions go uncontested
as
| a result and head office rules. The game is stacked against the members.
|
| Only because members give up the fight. Stop banging heads on walls and
| start banging boots into heads!!!

Can't, see above. While there are vested interests involved, not a lot can
be done.

| As I just said, lay down and get walked on.

Whenever we try to fight, they over-rule our decisions, lie to us, censor us
etc.

| > I never send get rid of the Union, I said blokes don't support it
because
| it doesn't work for them.
|
| MAKE it work!!!

Better men than I have tried and failed. When the Union executive is in bed
with management and the government it's impossible.

| > | If you don't like it, find another job.
| > | (You might get lucky to find another job that still has a union
standing
| > up for it's members rights!)
| >
| > So because my Union is corrupt I should find another job?
|
| Possibly find another union?? If enough of you are pissed off with the
| R.T.B.U. enquire if another related union might be interested in taking
you
| on??

A few blokes, Drivers and guards, started joining the ASU, so the RTBU took
them to court and got an order that they have no coverage of wages grade
employees. There's a new guards group just started and the RTBU already has
an assurance from the ASU that it has nothing to do with them and that they
won't help anyone who has anything to do with it. The RTBU also has an
assurance that it will only deal with the RTBU in relation to wages grades.

As you can see, blokes are trying, but the deck is stacked against them.

| > | Just remember, the cab facilities you enjoy (seats,
| >
| > Uncomfortable, dirty, inappropriate.
|
| At least you can sit down

There's more to it than that, sometimes you're stuck in the one cab for
hours on end.

| > | heating,
| >
| > Inappropriate.
|
| At least it exists.

Rough enough is good enough?

| > | noise suppression,
| >
| > What noise suppression?
|
| Can you hear someone speak to you when you get out the cab??

Yes, but that has nothing to do with any noise supression, it's
non-existant.

| > | etc. etc.), crib facilities (ovens, fridges, lockers, showers, etc.
etc.),

| > Most inadequate.
|
| Complain louder!

They ignore harder!

| > | pay rates,
| >
| > Getting lower and lower comparatively.
|
| Because unions are losing support and management is getting let off the
hook.

Because the RTBU does the done deal with their Masonic mates in management,
then presents it as a fait acompli to members. This happened prior to the
Olympics once again.

| > | leave provisions, etc. etc.
| >
| > Won back when we had real Unions. The current one has tried selling off
| some off the leave provisions.
|
| Get rid of your current union officials.

Tried, the dumb bastards keep voting for them.