Re: [NSW] Five (in a car) thought dead after train crash

keith malcolm <kmalcolm@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3hOf6.8$OM4.1217@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:3hOf6.8$OM4.1217@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...

> Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3a7fa97c$0$16396$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a7fa97c$0$16396$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> >
> > David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > 3A7EB63C.74425417@ozemail.com.au">news:3A7EB63C.74425417@ozemail.com.au...
> > > Alex Pout wrote:
> > > Full width crossing gates are only used at Controlled locations where
> the
> > > signaller can see the crossing is unoccupied before clearing the signal.

> > And what about the train?? Does it get signalled to stop?
>
> Read the statement above again. The crossing is protected by a signal (a
> home/starter?) , if the gates are open the signal cannot be cleared.
>
> Dave Malcolm

I seem to recall that the Civic gates/booms (all 4) were individually
controlled so that the signaller could release an inadvertantly trapped car
without allowing others on to the crossing.  Even more effectively the
signaller could deliberately trap a car on the crossing and then release
them - a short sharp lesson in risk and mortality.

Chris

So the signaller can't clear the signal if one boom is not lowered but of
course can if all booms are lowered and The signal and gateIs it interlocked
or proce

Chris