Re: Stop Defending Cityrail Attrocious Record

"Anita Lukaszyk" <neety@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
3AD7A670.222A0DB5@iprimus.com.au">news:3AD7A670.222A0DB5@iprimus.com.au...
> Mercia Chapman wrote:
>
> > why all weekends on some lines?
>
> Simple. Less people travel on the weekend.

Thats not the real reason. The NIMBY population don't like work being
carried out on the railway line next to them (the one that was there before
they brought the property) because it keeps them awake. Its a political
reason, it has nothing to do with Patronage. If there is proof that
patronage is lower on rail lines durign the weekend its because people know
that trains don't run due to trackwork!

> > Why does Cityrail make it almost impossible to get anywhere on weekends.
>
> Major trackwork is advertised in Sydney/local papers a week or more in
> advance. If you have somewhere important to go, you should check
> beforehand.

Why shut Stratfield to St Mary's to ballast a section of track at Doonside?

Surely its easier to bustitute between Blacktown and St Mary's or even..
lets think about it.. send the train down two of the four tracks...

In the old days (before safety vests) they used single line working and
detonators. The last time I was at Gosford, Buses replaced trains from
Gosford to Hornsby. But freight and XPT servixces were still running. It is
a cop out. Is it cheaper to hire buses on weekends tha to run trains
services?

*snip*

> I don't have a car. Not everybody does, you know. In some cases, it may
> be easier/cheaper to catch a train. For example, if I wanted to go to
> the airport, I could get a taxi for $80+ and 1 1/2 hrs. Or I could get a
> train for much less, and be there in an hour or so.

You Neety, get the train for FREE. So that argument doesn't count. Not
everybody has an expendible $80 for the taxi.. but on weekends, how hard
would it be?? Train from penrith to St Mary's - bus from St Mary's to
Granville - Train from Granville to the city - train from City to the
airport. Some people rely on Public Transport.

I would believe that Neety's comments were made in a personal capacity and
not in the capacity of her employer....

> --
> No problem is so big and
> complicated that it can't