Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

David Johnson wrote:

> >  I suggest you get rid of your 386 and 14.4 modem, and try Cable maybe?
>
> I have a 28.8 modem which does me quite fine.  I have no need or desire to
> upgrade it.  I can't try Cable, because it is not available in most Home Units.

Whether you like it or not, sites are going to require faster and faster
connections. While 28.8 may be fine for most sites at the moment, give
it a few years and it will be too slow. I am even finding my 56k modem a
bit to slow for some of these sites that use shockwave flash a lot. Java
applets are also a real killer for slow connections.

> > Oh and 640x480 might be good for solitaire but the internet just doesn't cut
> > it on such a poor resolution.
>
> I'm running 1280x1024, but I still don't see the need for such large pictures.

Like I have said many times, it all comes down to what you prefer. Some
people like me prefer larger images so they can see the detail. Other
people like you prefer smaller images for fast downloads. I am not
saying that you are completely wrong, it is just your preference and you
are entitled to that. I think your photos are good, but I would prefer
larger images. However, I'm not going to start demanding that you
provide them.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: