Re: Airport rail link

(crossposted to aus.rail from melb.general)

whitehat <whitehat@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>Both the Kennet and Bracks Governments had plans to do this. The current
>government's plans are striking two problems:
>
>1) They are keen to be seen to consult widely regarding the route, but
>various protest groups are saying 'not in my back yard'.
>
>2) They want the private sector to pay for it but not to own or operate it.
>The private sector is having trouble with this concept.

Both problems boil down to the fact that the whole thing's being run as a
typical DoI bureaucrats' project, where they spend twice as much money as
they need to and get something half as good.  For a relatively modest sum
they could extend the existing Broadmeadows line three kilometres right into
the basement of the terminal building.  Instead they propose running special
high-speed trains along a new dedicated track at enormous expense, and
terminating the trains on the far side of the car park!

The money they save by not building excessive infrastructure could be spent
instead on eliminating all the level crossings on the Broadmeadows line, which
would go a long way toward placating the local residents.  Vicroads has a big
fat budget for road projects, so the level crossings could be removed without
having to hold out the begging bowl to the private sector.  If this proves too
difficult you could run the trains via Albion instead - but the single track
raises problems here.

I don't believe it's necessary to compensate Transurban if a passenger service
to the airport materialises.  Freight service is a different matter.

(Note: these are my views and my views alone.)

Tony M.