Re: Previous Happenings

Alex Pout wrote:

> Morning all,
> Richmond Vale, 3801 and (I presume) the Zig Zag, and other steam operators,
> can't operate their steam locos during total fire bans.  So in the olden
> days, when steam locos were the only motive power around much of the state,
> how did they operate the railways across summer, especially under TFBs?  I
> ask as a firefighter who's been to a few fires started by Richmond Vale's
> engines, nothing serious, and as someone with a bit of an interest in
> trains.
>
> Thanks
> Al

Good Morning,
I'm a boiler attendant from the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society
in Albion Park.
We have four steam locos operational, and our setting is bushland.
Please visit our web site at www.gghome.com/ILRMS

Total Fire Ban periods are a relatively "new" concept, unheard of in the
"olden" days of steam.
Steam locos have an "enclosed" fire, within an internal firebox, with a
grate of one sort or another and an ashpan, enclosed by doors only
opened during "ashing out". The ashpan can be fitted with a pipe from
the water tank, valve operated in the cab, to provide dampening of the
ash, it helps if the ashpan is dished to allow water to remain in the
ashpan to put out any large amounts of fire which may drop through the
grate.
Many locos have spark arrestors fitted in the "chimney" or smokebox to
capture any airborne fire hazard.
The ILRMS has two locomotives which are fitted out in this way.
However, we don't operate steam on TFB days as the potential risk of
causing a major fire is too great. We operate a diesel locomotive at
these times.

I hope this has answered your question.
I have answered this using information from my own experiences, from
what I have read, seen or been involved with.

Regards
Helen