Re: Previous Happenings

In article <3a0a82d2$0$19435$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
cdsmith@dingoblue.net.au says...

> Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3a088856$0$19433$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a088856$0$19433$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > Morning all,
> > Richmond Vale, 3801 and (I presume) the Zig Zag, and other steam
> operators,
> > can't operate their steam locos during total fire bans.  So in the olden
> > days, when steam locos were the only motive power around much of the
> state,
> > how did they operate the railways across summer, especially under TFBs?  I
> > ask as a firefighter who's been to a few fires started by Richmond Vale's
> > engines, nothing serious, and as someone with a bit of an interest in
> > trains.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Al
> >

> Hi guys
>
> Steam locos with properly designed and maitained spark arrestors and ash
> pans are pretty much a minimal fire risk. Diseasels are just as likely to
> throw sparks as a steamer with a good spark arrestor. Sparks from brakes
> are/were the most common source of ignition for line side fires. Check out a
> train under brakes at night and marvel at the firework display. Any comments
> on the above?????
>
> cheers, Clinton

It has been proven that a lot depends on the quality of coal being
burned. With good quality coal and an engine with properly maintained
equipment, any ash emitted from the stack is dead before it gets anywhere
near the ground. What does come into play here is poor quality fuel with
a lot of rubbish included. This can and does include rock particles. On
stoker fired locomotives when the poorer coal is burned, the rubbish
particles are heated up and are a lot slower to extinguish than the burnt
coal. Hence it is these particles of rock and foreign particles that are
emitted from the stack and are unable to die before hitting the ground.
All steam locomotives were and still are thoroughly inspected before any
summer season to ensure all fire arrestor equipment meets strict
guidlines. This is not something new but has been happening for decades.