Re: Previous Happenings

Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
3a088856$0$19433$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a088856$0$19433$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> Morning all,
> Richmond Vale, 3801 and (I presume) the Zig Zag, and other steam
operators,
> can't operate their steam locos during total fire bans.  So in the olden
> days, when steam locos were the only motive power around much of the
state,
> how did they operate the railways across summer, especially under TFBs?  I
> ask as a firefighter who's been to a few fires started by Richmond Vale's
> engines, nothing serious, and as someone with a bit of an interest in
> trains.
>
> Thanks
> Al

Hi guys

Steam locos with properly designed and maitained spark arrestors and ash
pans are pretty much a minimal fire risk. Diseasels are just as likely to
throw sparks as a steamer with a good spark arrestor. Sparks from brakes
are/were the most common source of ignition for line side fires. Check out a
train under brakes at night and marvel at the firework display. Any comments
on the above?????

cheers, Clinton