Re: Previous Happenings

I agree with David Johnson - when steam was in regular use from the year dot
untill their retirment - the tracl and land was kept in better conditon - often
weed  trains kept the line clear of growth. Hence no tree, and with regular
clearing with the railway easment, little combustionables. Today the track is
surrounded by treees, weeds etc.

That is not to say that in our eyes now it would have been "safe", but like many
historial practises, materials etc they have been superseded ( eg Asbestos one
was good, now bad etc.) - And basically one could say the steam train was the
only form of communication and the only motive power for over 100 years, and thus
ran all year.

Regards,
David Head