Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

WhaleOilBeefHooked said in message <7tsct4$th$1@news1.mpx.com.au>, I
therefore quote:

>Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
>8E5CCA0F4telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E5CCA0F4telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ideally that's how it should be done. A guard sitting in the end (or
>> middle cab) sitting doing nothing other than blowing a whistle and
>> making announcements is useless. Melbourne has already proven this.
>>
>> It would be great if the guard can assume another role, as you
>> mentioned, checking tickets on their trains, and keeping order.
>> Melbourne opted for the cheap approach, scrap guards completely and
>> install mirrors on trains, CCTV/monitors on platforms. The guards jobs
>> were not replaced.
>
>Sydney Tangara's have actually been designed for this, but it has never
>been utilised. There is a control panel for the guard next to each and
>every doorway in a Tangara - it allows the guard to open that door, all
>the doors, close all the doors, give a bell signal to the driver, then
>close his door. He could patrol the train doing other duties. I am not
>sure about the ticket selling role though - would leave him as a target,
>particularly late at night. Perhaps a dual security/train management
>role? Might allow those useless Chubb idiots to be dispensed with.

What is wrong with the driver pushing a button to close the door as opposed
to the seemingly obsolete guard?

>Penrith - it happens all the time, and you can blame Paul Keating and
>Bob Hawke for that - and also the Democrats. The unfair dismissal laws
>are necessary, but at the moment they go too far. They mean that an
>employer cannot get rid of someone who refuses to do their job. Perhaps
>with a little less job security, and a bit more accountability, we would
>have a much better system.

Maybe the unfair dismissal laws need to be refined a little. Why hasn't
Jackboot Johnny done it yet? Umm on the other hand, if he gets his grotty
little hands in on it, we will have no job security whatsoever any more!!

Regards
Michael