Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

Hi,

Ideally that's how it should be done. A guard sitting in the end (or
middle cab) sitting doing nothing other than blowing a whistle and making
announcements is useless. Melbourne has already proven this.

It would be great if the guard can assume another role, as you mentioned,
checking tickets on their trains, and keeping order. Melbourne opted for
the cheap approach, scrap guards completely and install mirrors on
trains, CCTV/monitors on platforms. The guards jobs were not replaced.

Having said that, a guard would be of a lot more use if they can check
tickets, and also inform passengers as required (i.e. does this train
stop at central? do i wash my whites with my colours in cold water?), or
basically the same role as Melbourne's tram condictors (the human, not
the stainless steel type).

I think the reason why CityRail have a lot of employees who can't be
bothered doing their job is simply because they have been treating them
too good for too long. Anyone found to be slack should be
dismissed/disciplined on the spot. Examples being, the driver in Katoomba
(or wherever it was, in previous thread) that said "oh yeah, i better go"
3 minutes after departure time.

Regards
Michael.

Railway Rasputin said in message <3801A3BB.DEBA96FC@fastlink.com.au>, I