Re: [VIC] headboards, nameplates and non authentic liveries. (was: [VIC] Steamrail headboard)

Yes, but there are many instances where the VR took liberties with colour
schemes eg The Boat Train,The Centenary N ,The exhibition R,the Little
Trimmer,the Jolimont Dogbox shunter.They where all decisions of people who
thought they had a good idea.
Lineman Graeme
"James Brook" <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3843AD55.92A84185@ozemail.com.au">news:3843AD55.92A84185@ozemail.com.au...
> I didn't know about that, but they are still trying to restore the
locomotive
> into what they think it might have looked like in service. You could
probably
> argue that they shouldn't have converted Polly because they don't really
know
> what it looked like, but this sort of conversion is still trying to be as
> authentic as possible. Headboards and nameplates were never on VR
locomotives
> apart from the steam S classes. Adding headboards, nameplates and painting
the
> locomotives in non authentic colour schemes is clearly not trying to
restore the
> locomotive to VR condition.
>
> Lineman wrote:
>
> > Forgive me if I am wrong James but I seem to recall that when Polly No.3
> > steam crane was turned into Z526 there was no one who actually knew what
> > Z526 looked like in service.
> > The restorations where done to line drawings and educated guesses as to
what
> > it  might actually have looked like between 1893 and 1904.A bit like the
> > recreation of The Rocket.
> > Like ideas on how to raise children correctly,museums have changed there
> > ideas since I was a wee lad,and I am sure that they will keep doing so
If it