Re: [VIC] headboards, nameplates and non authentic liveries. (was: [VIC] Steamrail headboard)

Forgive me if I am wrong James but I seem to recall that when Polly No.3
steam crane was turned into Z526 there was no one who actually knew what
Z526 looked like in service.
The restorations where done to line drawings and educated guesses as to what
it  might actually have looked like between 1893 and 1904.A bit like the
recreation of The Rocket.
Like ideas on how to raise children correctly,museums have changed there
ideas since I was a wee lad,and I am sure that they will keep doing so If it
means getting punters through the turn stiles.I do know that nothing stays
the same for ever and that any thing is possible,even a steam locomotive
fired by gas.:-)
Lineman Graeme
"James Brook" <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
38434542.A2342D14@ozemail.com.au">news:38434542.A2342D14@ozemail.com.au...
> Lineman wrote:
>
> > A museum is set up to
> > preserve items, not to modify them.
> > By that logic Polly would still be a steam crane,Yes or No
> > With a statement like that, you obviously do not understand the concept
of
> > museum.
> > Please enlighten us as to how all museums are supposed to operate
> >  Lineman
>
> Polly has been restored to its earlier condition. It has not been modified
to a
> condition that it hasn't already existed as. Although you could argue that
it
> should have been preserved as a steam crane, this isn't the same as if a
museum
> modified an R class locomotive to a configuration similar to R711. The VR
never
> had an R class locomotive in this configuration. Please do not come back
and say
> that WCR isn't a museum because I already know this and I am just saying
that if
> a "museum" modified an R class to this condition. I have no problem with
WCR's