Re: New logic on Metcard

I drive buses in Melbourne, and out of say 400 passengers a day, probably at
least 20 tickets don't work as they have been damaged through normal wear
and tear. Many of these are periodical tickets.

Some are Metcard 10 or whatever they are called. Theses are a pain, as when
they are damaged, we have to manually record the expiry date and time.
Theoretically these tickets should be rejected, but someone who has paid a
lot of money for such a ticket is going to be pissed off at buying another
ticket when it is the Metcard ticket system at fault, not them! Passengers
on National Bus Co. buses also usually have their Metcards manually dated!
They can then be used for another day using Metcard validators that can't
read handwriting!

People with these damaged tickets can probably use them for months and
months, because the validators don't read them. Also these tickets won't
work on one bus, but they will on another, giving extra trips to the lucky
ticket holder.

School kids have a number of techniques for obtaining free travel.

I pick up several groups that travel for free on the trams and trains , then
just buy a short trip  to get to school.

As someone who works with the system, I view it as a farce. There are still
stupid flaws in the software, and I am continually annoyed at some of these.

When will Melbourne get a proper ticketing system that is attractive to
customers?

Cheers
John Wayman

<7cb6g2$emd$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...