Re: New logic on Metcard

John Wayman wrote in message ...
>I agree with you Chris.
>
>Metcard periodical tickets are prone to failure after a week or so.
>
>Metcard express is obviously still in the too hard basket, and old style
>(i.e.  not requiring validation) student concession tickets have been
issued
>again this year. Employee passes are also non validate style tickets.

I still cannot understand why they have not adopted the plastic coated
tickets that Sydney has in the interim, until the get Xpress up and
running - the plastic coating ensures the printing is still legible, and
also makes it more robust (for when you constantly put it in validators and
gates).

>Why should weekly and monthly ticket holders still go through hell with the
>existing Metcard system?

Oh you poor people - it really is HELL isn't it, to have to get your wallet
out, get the ticket out, and put it in a validator. You had to get your
ticket out when conductors were around - what is the difference?

When I was in Melbourne in January and was travelling like a commuter (2
trams to work in the morning, a tram to the city around lunch, tram back
after lunch, 2 trams home) during the week and like a tourist on days off,
using a weekly ticket, I did not experience a single problem over the
fortnight.

>Metcard is destroying the loyalty of many otherwise happy users of public
>transport.

Only because they are too "precious".

DaveP