Re: New logic on Metcard

Michael Walker wrote in message <921157406.142388@woody.hotkey.net.au>...

>You've said this before but just because you had a successful week of
>Metcard doesn't give you the right to claim other people are sooking.

It does when people are claiming to have constant troubles, and I did not
experience a single problem in an entire fortnight. The only reason I stated
my travel pattern was so that I could not be accused of being a tourist and
only using it a few times a day. What I did was typical of a Melbourne
resident (apart from using it when I wanted to go out :p)

>I can
>genuinely assure you I am by no means alone in having trouble with Metcards
>both with people on this newsgroup and those I associate with in my
'normal'
>life. I have had many Metcards last a week too just like I've had many
funny
>looks (and derogatory comments of Metcard) from National Bus drivers
because
>the printing has faded by the end of the first / middle of the second week.

That gets back to my point about the plastic coated tickets. They would last
(they last for a year in Sydney) yet judging by your comments, you (and
others) would still not validate. Maybe if you all did, and the Gestapo were
unable to read the details, and this was to become the norm, then they just
might introduce these tickets until Metcard Xpress comes in.

>Obviously not as precious as some Sydneysiders who think after using the
>system for a week that they know more than the people who use it every day
>and have done for at least the last 52 weeks or so...

I have lived in Melbourne - apart from January, when I am there for 2.5
weeks, and travel like a resident, I am down there on about 12 - 15
occasions throughout the year for 2-4 days at a time, using public transport
extensively whilst there. I think that gives me a reasonable basis on which
to comment.

And I do not think Sydney people are quite as 'precious' as Melbourne
people, who seem to be philosophically opposed to doing what has to be done
in Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, most of the United States, most of Europe.

DaveP