Re: 520 or 621

Chester wrote in message <36e4c565.3871705@news.chariot.net.au>...
>On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:14:12 GMT, chester@chariot.net.au (Chester)
>wrote:
>
>snip
>>Would I be right in assuming that SteamRanger has no steam locomotives
>>currently in opperating conditon?
>>Because (I hope this information is correct),
>>520- needs its tender under fraime rebuilt due to corrosion and will
>>not be running in 1999.
>>621- requires repairs or replacement of a number of parts like piston
>>rods and superheater,which will take time and money.
>>F251- Boiler Problems (leaks), will miss Easter Cockle Train runnings.
>>RX207- In the process of being rebuilt, progressing well but in
>>pieces.
>
>SNIP (not needed)
>
>>I assume 520 has no or only slight other problems than its tender and
>>621 tender is in good condition. Could 621s tender be used to replace
>>the tender of 520, with only minor modifications to 621s tender.  I
>>know it would probably look strange, but a repaint in 520 style would
>>help a lot.
>>
>>Questions?
>>1-Could it be done with no modification to 621s tender.
>>2-If no, how much modification would be required.
>>3-Could 520 cover the distance required with 621s tender (520 tender
>>8tons coal/9100 galls and 621 tender 9tons coal/5200 galls)
>>4-Are there any major unadvodiable problems with this idear I can not
>>see.
>>
>>If posable it gives SteamRanger the income and drawing potential of a
>>big power steam locomotive while the major problems with 520 and/or
>>621 are being dealt with.
>>
>>David Chester
>>(chester@chariot.net.au)
>
>Can I assume from the lack of responses that it is a non-feasible
>idear or that the last post I sent got lost in the void of electronic
>comunication?
>I hope some one can answer this question, what colours have been
>carried by 520 other than the current colours of green and yellow and
>have any of the other 520 class locomotives carred any other colours
>or liveries.
>
>Thank You
>David Chester
As to some of your questions I dont believe that 621 tender would hold
enough coal for the run, to Victor and back now that 520 does
not burn oil anymore and now chews up coal like its going out of
fashion.{two firerman from Strath to Mt Barker on return was the norm}
As to the colours of the 520 class ,
At some time some of the class were black and white .
And AFAIK at some stage they have all been just black.
A black and white 520 is a better looking loco than a green gherkin
IMHO!
As to 621 steamranger are waiting on a grant for 35k to have her put
back in service.

   Paul Curry
  Adelaide