Appleton Dock Track Construction

Rod Young recently wrote of FV's expansion plans.....

>A new Block Bulk Commodity Train is about to start from Adelaide to the
>Docks as soon as wagons can be converted.

I wandered down to Appleton Dock last night(Friday 12.3.99) to look
for the ASR bulldogs.   Unfortunately, the whole place is now heavily
fenced and "containered" out so the shots with West Gate in the
background are now almost impossible.

However, there is much trackwork going on there with two tracks being
laid parallel to, and east of the current Patricks' Siding.  Also much
concrete foundation work for a large building between the tracks and
the water.

It also looks as if Patricks' Siding is being lengthened towards
Footscray Road as there is new track parallel to the single line on
the west side of the single line.  With the fencing in the way, it's
difficult to see exactly the layout.

Also noted further down Patricks' Siding near the down end points,
while almost all the area on the west side of the track is now heavily
fenced (a legacy of the Wharf Dispute last year, no doubt), a curved
easement has been retained from the current track crossing Appleton
Dock Road near the old intersection with Kermode Street and just south
of the weighbridge (while there's no track on the easement, BG rails
are still in the road crossing - the track is shown in Melways 42 J8).

This easement could allow reconstruction of a track directly into
Patricks' East Swanson Dock Terminal at some time in the future.

And today, workers are tearing up the rails that cross Sunshine Road
near Tottenham Yard.  This is all that's left of sidings that used to
service the Goldsborough Mort Wool Stores along Sunshine Road.  The
sidings emanated from West Footscray station and yard and were torn up
over 15 years ago.

Regards

Yuri
--