Re: trial CityRail signage and info systems

boofheadpaul@yahoo.com.au wrote in message
<711eii$ldp$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>In the case of Granville NO THEY ARE NOT SEPERATE!! An SPI is not just an
>indicator.  It stands for "Station Passenger Information", not Station
>Platform Indicator as some people say.

That is strange - I have a promoational flyer here calling it the 'Standard
Passanger Indicator'!

A DVA is often a PC-based announcement
>system only, and an SPI is a combined indicator/announcement system and in
>State Rail's own words the announcements are a part of the "Dynamic
>Indicator".  When the display is shown, the announcement for that display
is
>set as well.  I have not once seen a display before 22:00 and had no
>announcement with it.  Generally, announcements are made when the board
>changes, 5 mins before the train arrives (and 2 minutes depending of the
SPI's
>location) and when the train arrives - sometimes more often.

That is the theory - two systems, indicator and announcement, that are
integrated to work together - but the very fact that SillyRail have
succumbed to the Politically Correct brigade and bowed to pressure not to
play announcements after a certain times because it keeps the residents
awake , means that the announcement system is not as indissoluble as you say
it is.

  So in other
>words the only time you will not hear a recorded announcement is when the
SPI
>system is down.

Wrong - Granville, up until about 6 months ago, were always done with manual
announcements, even when the SPI was working (it was in the Granville TAFE
newsletter at one stage about how you had to put up with all the accents on
the announcements at Granville station).

David "The Doctor" Proctor
daproc.remove.spambait@bigfoot.com