Re: trial CityRail signage and info systems

They like announcing the 'major' stations, no matter if the train's running all stations past that station. (Hear the SPI
announcements! ie from Burwood to Hornsby via Epping- first stop Strathfield, then North Strathfield, then all stations to Epping,
then Cheltenham, then all stations to Hornsby)

Hubert Lam

jdennis@acslink.net.au wrote in message <70m551$jrl$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
In article <70lrs1$84k$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  boofheadpaul@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> In article <908972721.217030@woody.hotkey.net.au>,
>   "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Actually, the cold voice at Flinders Street has competition from the warm
> > sounding man at Spencer Street and the lady who does the Loop stations (and
> > platform 1 at Flinders Street). Plus the male voice who does all the help
> > button information and automated platform announcements.
>
> Something I have always wondered about announcements in Melbourne - why do
> they repeat the stations on express routes?  A "Sydney-style" announcement
> would say "First stop Richmond, then Glenferrie, Camberwell, Box Hill then
> all stations to Belgrave", whereas a Melbourne one says "Running express
> Richmond to Glenferrie, Glenferrie to Camberwell, Camberwell to Box Hill then
> stopping all stations". Why is that?  It seems to make the announcement drawn
> out.

And in a corresponding query, why in Sydney do they make announcements such
as the one I heard at North Sydney, in a Hornsby via Strathfield train.  This
announcement went through "Milsons Point, Wynyard, Town Hall, Central,
Redfern, then Burwood, Strathfield", then the next half a dozen station to
somewhere north of Strathfield, and finished with "and all stations to
Hornsby".  Why not say "all stations to Hornsby" after Strathfield and skip
the half-dozen names mentioned? --

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html