Re: Granville

--
Regards
Roderick Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Trevor <tnsavo@rpi.net.au> wrote in article
<01bdfc34$f6b38120$e20c29cb@default>...
> yeah sure, but there was a seen when both the pantographs on the train
were
> in the down position, surly this shouldn't have happened!
I didn't notice this scene.  Presumably it was one filmed in Rozelle Yard.
If the pantographs had been fully extended while not under wires, the
effect would have been even worse.
> ... please correct me if any of this is wrong...we
> bought the loco's from england and used them on our outersuburban lines,
> lines which had much steeper grades than any line they'd been used on in
> pommy land. they weren't heavy enough to hang onto the track to climb
these
> grades, so the authority put at least one, maybe two concrete weights in
> the engine itself. this meant that on the colder mornings in the
mountains
> the wheels used to spin and dig the shit out of the wheels and the track,
> hence the worn wheels.
Spinning occurs when a loco has more power than its weight is capable of
turning into tractive force.  Adding concrete ballast improves the
situation, and does not make it worse.