Re: Train Cleaning, Was Pass Locos

Bob wrote in message <34BFF8F8.14E728FE@fastlink.com.au>...:
:
:Ashley Wright wrote:

:>   Do locos ever get stabled everywhere. How long does it take to warm
:> a loco up?? What does the driver do while warming up??
:>
:> I am only talking about cleaning up what mess can be cleaned up.
:> Obvisously there still is a need for professional cleaners, as
clearly
:> drivers/gaurds are not employed for that. But it dosn't stop cleaning
:> up after yourself and making it easy for the professionals to do
their
:> job. Which is after all where this thread started, the minority of
:> uncaring drivers who couldn't give a stuff about their own working
:> enviroment etc.
:
:  The warm up thime you are refering to is known as prep time.

No, the prep time is known as prep time.

 :This applies to a loco that is either dead or running when the crew
come on. It has always amazed
:me at the inconsistancy of this prep time by crews. If they want to get
their
:engine out quickly to get out and earn tonnage money

Incorrect, tonnage starts from sign-on time if locos are prepped.

:they go like speed
:lightening and whistle out seconds after jumping aboard.

This is usually a country crew on mileage, or an NRC crew who get paid a
set time for the trip - any corrections Graham? There are some of course
who don't do a proper prep and get out early, which only means they sit
somewhere else till their right time of being whereever they are. (?)

: The other extereme is
:when a local yard crew or prep crew want to make it their last job for
the day so
:they can "piss off early" and they find every excuse not to take the
loco.

I can honestly say I've never seen this done. Trust me :-)

: I saw a guy recently refuse to take a loco because he claimed it had a
dirty
:windscreen. The screen looked fine to me and the loco was fitted with
windscreen
:washers and wipers

Most of which are useless -except 82's.

 :but this guy just wanted to kill some time.

You presume

:The same person
:later called up for a cleaner to come and mop out his cab.

Which is always supposed to be done prior to the loco's departure.

 :A further delay
:tactic. After the cleaning was completed an other call went out for
toilet paper.

You want him to use safeworking manuals? The papers too shiny.

:To cut a long story short

Too late :-)

 :the unit never made it out of the shed before that crew
:signed off yet the new crew jumped on and took off.

As it was now ready thanks to the diligence and thoughtfulness of the
previous caring considerate crew.

 ;Having now said enough about this I rest my case.
:                                                    Bob

Too late it's already R.I.P.