Re: Train Cleaning, Was Pass Locos

Ashley Wright wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 19:37:17 +1100, "tezza" <tezza@atinet.com.au>
> wrote:
>

> >Ashley Wright wrote in message <34bdcdbc.10912286@news.ozemail.com.au>...
> >
> >:  As for loco cabs, and presumably city rail cabs, surly to christ the
> >:drivers and gaurds should be expected within reason to keep their
> >:working enviroment clean.
> >
> >How? As I said before, Fireman are supposed to maintain the cleanliness of
> >the loco cab and are only supplied with a dustpan, brush and toilet brush.
> >If the cab is filthy, there's nothing they can do. I don't think CityRail
> >passengers would take too kindly to the Driver stopping for 20 or 30 minutes
> >at Central to mop the floor, clean the windows and instrument panels etc.
>
>   Well it would be hard to clean with a dustpan and brush, but I have
> no doubt that it wouldn't be hard to buy what is needed. As for city
> rail, why would it take 20-30 minutes and why at central??
>

> >: I work as a public servant
> >
> >You make it so easy :-)
>
>   Life is hard!!!
>
> > :(technical, not
> >:pen pusher) and the office where I worked in Canberra (which is a
> >:control room in a larger computer room), gets cleaned only about once
> >:a month by 'cleaners'. The obvisouly is not good enough but all the
> >:workers in there, many who are sloths at the best of times take pride
> >:in MAINTAING a clean (and HEALTHY) working enviroment. If that meant
> >:vacuming and mopping the floors, and cleaing the kitchen then so be
> >:it, it got done much to the appreciation of all the other co-workers.
> >
> >And management who were able to reduce the cleaning back to once a month.
>
>   Beleive me that cutting cleaning back to once a month is not really
> what the management want. It is the fact that it is not convenient
> (for myself and co workers) for the cleaners to come in more than
> that. It may sound strange but trust me it is true.
>

> >:  Provided the right cleaing aids were installed on the trains then
> >:why would it not be possible to expect drivers/gaurds/assitants to do
> >:their little bit in mainting their OWN enviroment?? (I exclude the
> >:passenger compartments from this!!)
> >

> >And just where would they clean the locos? Pull up at Lidcombe trailing back
> >through the junction so they can get a bucket of hot water?
> >

>   Do locos ever get stabled everywhere. How long does it take to warm
> a loco up?? What does the driver do while warming up??
>
> I am only talking about cleaning up what mess can be cleaned up.
> Obvisously there still is a need for professional cleaners, as clearly
> drivers/gaurds are not employed for that. But it dosn't stop cleaning
> up after yourself and making it easy for the professionals to do their
> job. Which is after all where this thread started, the minority of
> uncaring drivers who couldn't give a stuff about their own working
> enviroment etc.

  The warm up thime you are refering to is known as prep time. This applies to a
loco that is either dead or running when the crew come on. It has always amazed
me at the inconsistancy of this prep time by crews. If they want to get their
engine out quickly to get out and earn tonnage money they go like speed
lightening and whistle out seconds after jumping aboard. The other extereme is
when a local yard crew or prep crew want to make it their last job for the day so
they can "piss off early" and they find every excuse not to take the loco. I saw
a guy recently refuse to take a loco because he claimed it had a dirty
windscreen. The screen looked fine to me and the loco was fitted with windscreen
washers and wipers but this guy just wanted to kill some time. The same person
later called up for a cleaner to come and mop out his cab. A further delay
tactic. After the cleaning was completed an other call went out for toilet paper.
To cut a long story short the unit never made it out of the shed before that crew
signed off yet the new crew jumped on and took off. Having now said enough about
this I rest my case.
                                                    Bob