[Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

I live very close to a train station (Westmead), and I'm working
towards reducing the amount of noise that comes from stations. One of
the most annoying noises is the loud horn as the train is about to
leave. It seems to me there is no real need to do it. If it is
a 'signal' from the driver to the guard, surely another method could be
used?

Is it a 'safety' procedure?
Is it an old habit that has remained because of inertia?

Thanks for your Help!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/