Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

Its a safety requirement to sound the horn before moving off. It is supposed
to alert those on the platform and near the track that the train is about to
move. The guard should already be aware the train is about to move as he has
blown his whistle and waved a green flag or rung a bell in the driver's
cabin to say passengers are aboard and it is time to depart.
Regards
David Mewes