Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

<martin_o@my-deja.com> wrote in message 95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

Rather than berate Martin for living near a railway station, he has asked a
valid question which no-one has answered (yet).
If I lived near a bus stop and each bus honked its horn every time it left
the stop I'd think there was excessive noise and probably want to complain
to the EPA or whoever.  I don't think trains have an excuse for making
unnecessary noise any more than other modes of transport.

I've just recently moved near a railway line and I accept that trains hoot
for a foot crossing nearby, if they didn't they'd probably hit the only
blind person who isn't deaf in Bowral who just happens to be amongst the two
pedestrians who daily cross the line in that location.

So how about a straight answer from an expert amongst you - without the
usual slam and put down the questioner?

Regards

David Bennetts
Bowral