Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

David Bennetts <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<IQ4g6.2984$sS4.108354@ozemail.com.au>:

>Rather than berate Martin for living near a railway station, he has
>asked a valid question which no-one has answered (yet).
>If I lived near a bus stop and each bus honked its horn every time it
>left the stop I'd think there was excessive noise and probably want to
>complain to the EPA or whoever.  I don't think trains have an excuse for
>making unnecessary noise any more than other modes of transport.

Sorry, no sympathy for NIMBYS.

>I've just recently moved near a railway line and I accept that trains
>hoot for a foot crossing nearby, if they didn't they'd probably hit the
>only blind person who isn't deaf in Bowral who just happens to be
>amongst the two pedestrians who daily cross the line in that location.

So if you moved near a railway line where there was no crossing but trains
routinely blew their horn for a reason or another, you would complain? I
guess you could also move close to an airport and demand they stop flying
their planes in at certain times each day because it disturbs your sleep or
disturbs your breakfast or fart sequence? Sorry, no sympathy for you.

>So how about a straight answer from an expert amongst you - without the
>usual slam and put down the questioner?

Lets see someone move in next door to you and demand you stop using your
car, and your house lights at night because it disturbs their sleep. You
wouldn't get any sympathy from me.

Now if they were to build a freeway in your backyard and it would have
considerable impact, then I'd offer my sypmathy.

First in, first served.

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME