Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

martin_o@my-deja.com wrote:

> Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

Because SWU 145 states that we have to....

"Driver:   When you have received the "All Right" handsignal or bell
signal... ..., sound one short whistle as a warning to passengers that the
train is about to depart from the station or platform."

> I live very close to a train station (Westmead), and I'm working
> towards reducing the amount of noise that comes from stations. One of
> the most annoying noises is the loud horn as the train is about to
> leave. It seems to me there is no real need to do it. If it is
> a 'signal' from the driver to the guard, surely another method could be
> used?

How long have you lived there?  Chances are, you'll get accustomed to it
very quickly.

> Is it a 'safety' procedure?

Yes.

> Is it an old habit that has remained because of inertia?

Inertia?

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au