Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

Robert wrote:

> Yes, it is a safety procedure.
> Incidentally the horn is also used when approaching  level crossings and
> tunnels( except on the eastern suburbs line - Bondi <> cronula).

The "Eastern Suburbs Line" extends from Central to Bondi Junction.
As far as I'm aware, and I'm open to correction, the "Eastern Suburbs Railway"
extends from Erskineville to Bondi Junction.

SWU 143 states:  "When a train is operating within the Eastern Suburbs Railway,
the locomotive whistle must not be sounded when entering or leaving a tunnel or
when travelling through a tunnel (except at platforms or where there are
workers or an obstruction near the running line)."

My interpretation of this is that the whistle is not to be sounded at the
Erskineville portal, even though it is on the "Illawarra Relief Line", it is
still on the "Eastern Suburbs Railway".

Anybody have a different opinion?

Perhaps the SWU could be worded better to remove ambiguity?

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au