Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

The guard signals the driver with the bell that the doors are closed and it
is safe
for the train to move. The driver sounds the horn to alert anyone on or
near
the track that the train is about to move and then puts the train in
motion.
Yes, it is a safety procedure.
Incidentally the horn is also used when approaching  level crossings and
tunnels( except on the eastern suburbs line - Bondi <> cronula).