Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

The prime rule taught to all Drivers is "Safety to the Public"
Every rule in the book is based on this one Rule. Another rule states the
whistle will be blown before any train or engine is moved.
In Victoria, some Firemen who new the lot, failed their practical exam by
not blowing the whistle, before moving a train or engine.
This rule is so written that if a shunting engine is sent forward then back
through a pair of points, hooked to a train, coupler remains open sent
ahead, after rearranging the coupler, sent back and coupled then sent
forward again, the driver is responsible to blow the whistle for every move.
In practice this does not happen, and the driver takes educated risks, by
blowing the whistle, when people are around, or after sitting idle for a
time.
At Stations, generally their are crossings nearby, and after getting the
right of way from the Conductor/ guard, he blows the whistle to alert all
near the train it will now move, and most importantly, to the passengers,
prepare we are moving, or its too late to get off we are off.
Detonators are another noisy Railway practice that should be eliminated, but
only when Safety to the Public is maintained.
People who buy houses near Railway Lines, should not expect the Railways to
adjust to their sensibilities. You have already been adequately compensated,
by paying much lower prices for your property because of the "noise"
I have to wonder if you are in fact trying to make the people of your State
pay out millions of dollars to simply, improve the market value of your
Railway sited properties, to make a winfall profit??
 In fact the Wodonga Council has done just that. Built up the City around
the Railway Station, now it seems a giant Shopping Town which will not add
much to what this area already has will replace the Railway line at a $57
million price tag, picked up by Federal and State Gov. Big Business gets the
best land in Town, The council gets rates and the poor pensioners, and
ordinary folk get to go to Albury to meet the train, that is if they can
find the money to relay the track!
Hope this helps
Rod